As a few of you might know I’m not only a major fan of gaming on original systems but also like to dabble in the dark art of emulation. Yes, I know many purists will soon be hitting the back button in disgust — however I am of the view that emulation has a location in each retro player’s lifestyle. Emulation lets you encounter games in near pixel-perfection you will never be able to afford or find and out of a historical perspective it is a great way to record and catalog names which would otherwise evaporate.
My pick of emulation instrument is a self-modded first (some call it’classic’ today ) Microsoft XBox. I have been asked on numerous occasions on how to mod an XBox and what a modded XBox is, therefore in this set of articles I will reveal to you the abilities of my two components and explain to you the best way you can go about getting your own.Read about xbox emulator roms At website
I decided to use this particular hardware after stumbling across sites run by fans and finding just how enormous the XBox mod scene is and also what a capable machine they’re for emulation functions. Nearly every emulator ever made has been ported to XBox and in the majority of cases continues to be improved still further by fans with the addition of video collections and art. Of course you can use an XBox as a excellent networked Media Centre plus it does many more things besides but as this can be RGC I’ll concentrate on the topic of retro console and computer emulation.
A modded Xbox is my own pick within PC/Mac emulation for the next 6 reasons:
1. The XBox is relatively easy to mod your self (soft-modding a standard 8gb XBox takes minutes as Soon as You understand how and have the tools/software)
2. The unit fits under your telly, including a PC
3. A classic XBox is affordable, I saw them being marketed using a control for #14.99 recently at my local GameStation. EBay is another good supply of cheap XBoxes.
5. Contrary to a Xbox 360, the first Xbox is quite reliable — nearly bombproof. The programmer scene is still going strong and new versions of popular emulators are published weekly
A modded XBox has the following advantages:
1. Area free games and DVD
3. You can update your HDD to something larger
4. You can save your DVD films and games to a HDD and play out there (quicker loading times)
5. Skill to use a mouse and keyboard (good for those point and click adventure titles)
6. Enormous development landscape resulting in countless ported emulators and utilities
7. Fully networkable over LAN with some other devices you have
8. Great alternative to a PC in a House arcade cabinet setup
9. Once the HDD is upgraded they make adequate Network Media Centres (XBMC)